Hajj and umra have some rules which we cannot ignored. This do and donts effect after we change our clothing into two pieces of ihrom in the specific place (miqot). The do’s part or rukun consist of niat, thawaf, sa’i, and haliq (i will describe it more in the next article, in sya’ Allah). And the dont’s part or the restrictions consist of:
1. Rafats or any speech that leads to copulation. The Messenger of Allah said: من حج هذا لبيت فلم يرفث ولم يفسق رجع كيوم ولدته امه “Whoever does the pilgrimage to this house (Baitullah, the glorious Ka’bah), then he does not rafats and does not do wickedness, he returns (after the Hajj), as he was born by his mother. “
2. Sexual intercourse.
3. Do wicked things or acts that violate the Shari’a.
4. Using perfume either on the body or ihrom cloth after the niat (intention) of umroh / hajj.
5. Deliberately removing any hairs or cutting nails.
6. Wearing shoes or sandals that cover the ankles of a male. The male also prohibited from using sock during the ihram.
7. Deliberately cover the head by hat, cloth, or newspaper. In contrast, the women are forbid to take their veil off in public.
8. Wearing dress that have patterns such as pants, shirts, panties, or T-shirt.
9. Proposing, marry, and marry off others as stated in the hadith narrated by Uthman ibn Affan, و ءن عسمان بن ءفان, ان رسل الله قال: لاينكح المحرم ول ينكح, ول يخطب. “That the Messenger of Allah said,” Those in the ihram should not marry, may not marry off, and may not propose (any woman).”
10. Hunting ore telling others to hunt for him. This is as stated in the hadith , و صن ابي قتادة الانصاري, في قصة صيده الحمار الوححشي وهوغير محرم قال: فقال رسول الله لاصحابه و كانوا محرمين: هل منكم احد امره او اشار اليح بشيء? قلو: لا. قال: فكلوا ما بقي من لحمه. “Narated by Abu Qatadah Al-Ansari related to the story of him hunting wild donkey during the ihram. He said: “the messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said to his companions during the ihram, did any of you tell him or gesture him to hunt?” They said, “No.” He said, “Then eat the rest of the meat.” Mutafaq Alaih.
 Panduan Manasik Haji & Umrah, Ustadz. Yazid bin Abdul Qadir Jawas, Jakarta: Pusataka Imam Syafii, 2010, p. 31-32, narrated by Abu Hurairah.
 Bulughul Maram, Al-Asqalani, Al-Hafidz Ibnu Hajar, Jakarta: Pustaka As-Sunnah, printed December 1, 2007, p. 357
 Bulughul Maram, Al-Asqalani, Al-Hafidz Ibnu Hajar, Jakarta: Pustaka As-Sunnah, printed December 1, 2007, p. 357. Note that at the time Abu Qotadah werent among the muhrim (those who perform the ihram for hajj or umra).